As part of the development works towards the stage 2 bid application, we are now inviting landscape professionals to tender for a Landscape Character Assessment study. The brief for this work can be downloaded from the Cambridgeshire ACRE’s Ouse Washes LP webpage. Please pass on this message to anyone you think might be interested in carrying out this work on behalf of the Ouse Washes LP Partnership.
The Landscape Character Assessment will focus on:
1. The development of a landscape typology, with detailed descriptions of landscape character areas. This will describe and explain the natural and historic elements that have shaped the landscape and which have given it its unique character.
2. The provision of a public facing narrative, to tell the story of the landscape and to improve people’s understanding of, and connection to, the landscape and build their sense of place.
3. The production of guidelines for the future management of the landscape, to influence land management decisions and to provide a framework for future partnership work.
Why do we need this? The results from the Landscape Character Assessment will provide essential data which will feed into various workstreams, forming a robust context for further works to be carried out during both the development and delivery phases of the Ouse Washes LP scheme:
– It will form an essential element of the required Landscape Conservation Action Plan (LCAP), in particular for describing the character, distinctiveness and historical development of the various landscape types within the Ouse Washes area;
– It will inform the required refinement of the boundary of the Ouse Washes LP area, to show which parts of the landscape form a coherent and recognisable unit that makes sense locally and with which people can associate, and which is distinct from the surrounding landscape;
– It will help further refine the various projects which are planned for the scheme’s delivery phase (starting April 2014).
To give you an understanding of the type of work that comes out of a Landscape Character Assessment, I have listed below the main Landscape Character Assessments which have been produced over the last two decades, all of which cover at least part of the Ouse Washes LP area:
The East of England Landscape Typology, produced by Landscape East, 2010
National Character Area 46, 2012
National Character Area 88, 2011
King’s Lynn & West Norfolk LCA, 2007
The Landscape Character Assessment for which we are now tendering will provide us with the first of such studies specifically focusing on the Ouse Washes landscape and – by zooming in on a relatively small landscape area – should provide more detail than is given in most of the existing relevant studies.